Monday, April 12, 2010

Sigue caminante






From my journal:
Today is our sixth day, I believe it is Wednesday the 31st, but I am not sure at the moment. I am sitting in the sun on a hay barrel maybe not yet halfway. I feel very tired because of my head cold. It is gorgeous weather though and I enjoyed the first hour and a half or two hours with a French gentleman named Alan, that is probably between Dad and G’papa’s age. He was very knowledgeable, as the elderly seem to be, and wears an adorable beret and walked at a pleasant pace. We talked in English and French as he was an English language teacher and spoke excellent English. He also helped me a bit with my French. He taught me some French colloquialisms, one word for boring “gaver” (pronounced somewhat phonetically from an American accent as “gahv- ay”), which literally means force-fed, such as with foie-gras. We talked about languages and trees and gypsies and Flamenco and housing styles. He had said, “Les langues sont vivants”. I loved that and wanted to quote it. In English, essentially, “Languages are living”. We walked by a fountain of wine in Irache and the sun was shining. In French sunrise is “le levé de soleil” whereas the sunset is “le couché de soleil”. Twilight is something like “crepuscule”. He was an inspirational older man, “une source d’ inspiration” and is doing the camino in stages. It is incredible how exhausted I feel. I wish I had more energy, but today I will just have to take it easy. I think I will just go to Los Arcos and maybe try to make it to Logroño tomorrow. I will see. I want to feel at peace about any pace, but I do want to be able to do more in some of the middle stages, maybe when it is flat.
(I then fell quickly asleep on the hay barrel and later woke up with flees or some sort of bug crawling all over me. I was somewhat horrified, but brushed off what I could...later that day: )
So finally I came about 30 Km today. The place I am staying at is not very welcoming, but there is an ATM if I feel the need to pull money out before reaching Logroño… Today I was walking alone a bit and it was kind of cool, although I am really grossed out by the fleas or lice or whatever it was crawling on me after the haystacks rest. Sitting there was so pleasant for a short bit, but the aftereffects might leave me traumatized of the Camino and the hostels and the like. I still have this stinky head cold/cough, but had nice weather while walking today so it was pleasant. I think I am going to douse myself in tea tree oil, stretch and sleep.

(The video was from before journaling. )

Pics are from throughout that day, I really took it easy and enjoyed journaling and photos. The fountain really is a wine fountain, it wasn't running at 8 AM though when we walked by. The others are shots from along the way. Often I would run into another pilgrim along the way and we would often take photos of each other. Thanks to all the pilgrims!

4 comments:

  1. I wish my photos could really show how amazing it was and be in a little better chronological order but blogspot switches the order... Well, I would recommend the walk for a walking holiday or pilgrimage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent this nice old man for you Cari Anne, and I am very please you liked him. I wish I were walking alongside you instead of walking alongside cars. I miss the mountains so bad.

    Hope you're having a lot of fun, say hi yo the lice and all, I did also send them to you to keep you company in case you feel lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I love your headband by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you thank you Louis! He was very nice, the bugs weren't though, but it did keep me entertained. Also, I made the headband. Thank you thank! Do you have school in June? You could come see the Spanish mountains/countryside with me :)

    ReplyDelete