Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 2-3, El Camino de Santiago






28th March (Larrasoana-Pamplona)
We have had lovely weather so far; my face has a sunburn I think. We have been walking pretty intensely; I think for me I need to slow down because I feel like it is going too fast. I don’t think that is what is going on in my life, sometimes I just rush in the moment. Tomorrow will be a day of more walking. I would like to get to Puente las Reinas, as it is recommended but I will read the guide book and then make a decision.
I have met some really lovely people; Frances from Wales, Alissa from Cali and I have been sharing a lot of the walk. We have bumped into Mark, from Australia and Ko from Korea and Luca from Italy for the last few days. Well, I guess today was only our third day, but it feels a little unusual now. I do have a few blisters and have mostly treated them with Compeed, some of which a friend gave me, as well as posh ear plugs and lending me his book for a farewell Camino gift.

29th March, (Pamplona-Puente la Reina)
Today was another day of lovely weather. We hiked the Alto de Perdon which was gorgeous and did not seem hard in comparison to the last few days. Day 4 feels like it should be Day 3 or Day 7, but it was very pleasant. I definitely need more sleep to help get rid of the head cold I have gotten. Ko, the Korean, is really funny and let me taste his Korean spicy paste. We ate it on olives because he didn’t like the way the olives tasted. I shared with everyone that my mother sews quilts for prostitutes and just like her we can sleep when we are dead.

This AM I set off on my own. Mostly everyone caught up mostly. Luca the Italian gave me a lecture about my pace and how I walk reflects how I live and how my pace is fast and shows that I am focused on my destination and not the journey. I didn’t appreciate his wisdom very much, I felt like it wasn’t the golden feather from the bird of truth, but I really wanted some independence. This trip was for me to go and explore and be an inner journey. I do want to meet new people and learn the a sundry and many things we can from others, but I really enjoyed a bit of solitarity today and was just enjoying my pace and seeing the gorgeous countryside. I felt a need to be independent of the needs of others. I do really miss my family and would love to chat with Mom or Dad. I do appreciate the comradery in the hostal/albergue at night but also want to run at my own air a bit. I think that is a “spaniardism”.

I am starting to not feel so well, each day a little more so, but hopefully tomorrow that will improve. I have several oranges and loads of carrots, as well as some figs. The second day seemed mostly easy, but we were fighting off soreness. The third day was the shortest so far; my feet are probably my biggest discomfort factor and I am just incredibly tired. If I am up for it, I might go an extra 10 KM tomorrow, but it depends on if I am feeling better. I have enjoyed some comradery and walking and am incredibly impressed with our bodies capabilities.
The town we are in, Puente la Reina, is adorable and charming and very Spanish. I want to wander around these cute small places.
~~I am happy to be doing this and am going to listen to myself and enjoy and take photos whenever I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment