Friday, February 26, 2010

Geneva, Switzerland







We got into Geneva after a late night and then got to Nicole’s house. I got up the next day and poorly communicated with the Madame that Nicole lives with. We spoke French and English and she told Nicole later that I was from Canada. I thought I had said I was from the U.S. near Canada. That was the start of my French, but by the end of the week I was doing better. I saw the U.N. in Geneva and embarrassing was given money by an older man, when I just meant to ask for change, not to be given money. I almost started crying because I thought it was so nice and I was having a hard time communicating. It was kind of funny. I was at the bus stop and didn’t have change to buy a day ticket, so I thought I would get on and buy one after getting change but there was a ticket control right there, so I tried to ask him if I could buy a ticket from him and he just told me that it wasn’t a good excuse to not have change to not buy a ticket. So then I went to a museum that was closed and then to a pastry shop to ask for change and finally got change, but then went back to the machine and didn’t have the right change and I didn’t want to pay ten francs for a seven franc day ticket. So then I asked a man who got off the bus if he had change and he asked me in English what I needed. I signed and said, “Oh good, you speak English” and then he just gave me money and hurried off. I think I was stunned for a moment and then he was gone. I didn’t need two dollars I just needed change, but I was so thankful for that man’s kind act. So after that I visited the U.N. and enjoyed a quick tour. The Human Rights Delegation was meeting the day I visited and there was a demonstration in the U.N. plaza about the Islamic Republic of Iran. I met up with Nicole afterwards and we visited the cathedral and the world’s longest bench. Nicole is an inspiration, a grad student on a Rotary scholarship with a variety of activities. I enjoyed some interesting discussion with her on some international issues and also just girl-topics about life. We played knee-size checkers, which I think they call tic-tac or tric-trac, in the park with all the male senior-citizens. We went second-hand thrift store shopping, which was fun after not seeing any in Spain for ages.
Geneva is quite expensive despite the dollar and franc being relatively equivalent, but we went ice-skating for two francs a person, and it was Fauston’s treat. He is fun and charming close friend of Nicole’s.
We also went for a lake cruise which was quite economical because we took the water taxi and could use a bus ticket. We made raclette (I can’t remember the spelling) but it is a cheese you melt over potatoes and it was quite delicious as well.

I of course got a fair amount of chocolate tasting. I will further the Swiss stereotype of fabulous chocolate and announce on my blog that it is some of the best.
Overall, Geneva was a bit expensive so far as food is concerned, but there were ways to entertain ourselves economically and it was refreshing to be in such a big, international and excited place.
Thank you Nicole for such a wonderful long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment