Thursday, December 17, 2009

España, je je je


Funny things about España:

They start numbering the ground floor at zero. So what would be our second floor is the first floor or “1a/primera planta”.

Marijuana is legal to smoke. (I don’t smoke any thing, tobacco or anything, but do smell marijuana often even just outside the university buildings were I am currently staying). Although one of the other Basque guys here told me that marijuana is illegal, but others say it is legal to have up to a certain amount on you, but not legal to sell or buy it. Also, there are stipulations about growing it. …?

Also people smoke out the windows of the residence building.

One of the Spanish girls I met said that her doctor was smoking in the room during her doctor’s visit. The doctor, take note. BUT be careful to judge, although smoking is much more common here the girls said this should not be happening. People do smoke in places that say “Espacio sin fumar” or essentially, “Smoke-free zone”.

They park on the sidewalk; anywhere there is enough space.

They have long pillows so that the pillow is the same as the width of the mattress.

They have socialized medicine. I went to see the doctor and I just checked in at the hospital, gave them my passport, told them I was working here at the school and waited in line. The doctor did all the paperwork while seeing me and sent me off with my diagnosis, treatment advice and prescription. I didn't have to pay or check-out, or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment